the view from my kitchen window

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Clucking in my Kitchen

I grew up on a farm and we raised a lot of different animals, crops . . and lots of chickens.  I can tell you more about chickens than you'll ever want to know.  But they seem to have some charm when it comes to kitchen decor and I have a few little "chickies" gracing my kitchen.  
I'm also very fond of antique items and have some treasures that I was able to claim from our farm and a few things that were in my in-laws house.
Thought I'd have some fun and use the first egg scale we used on the farm in my decor, weighing a ball ornament.  Use some cute little aluminum molds to hold more vintage ball ornaments or light string bulbs and add some other bric-a-brac.

A vintage quart milk bottle makes a great container for peppermint sticks.  Tie up some silverplate utensils, add a vintage gallon milk jug and a complete set of vintage glass tree ornaments and use some fun dress shaped potholders and Christmas themed napkins.

Vintage thermos bottles all dolled up for the holidays, along with cordial glasses holding vintage ball ornaments, chickens, rusty bells, plates, mugs, evergreen branches, an antique butter churn and more napkins.   And, just lay it out on kitchen-y towels and redwork tea towels.

Better look at the churn with a fun 1950's salt/pepper set and antique kitchen utensils.
Well, in true farmgirl, "lover-of-old-stuff" fashion, I wanted to incorporate some of these antique/vintage items into my kitchen Christmas decorations along with the chickens.  Boy does this remind me of Christmas on the farm . . that big, two-story house whose only heat was the Warm Morning coal stove in the dining room and the fireplace in the living room.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment